Saturday, August 26, 2023

A dive down the AI generated art rabbit hole...

So... again, I have to apologise for not being as prolific as I'd like, in part this is due to my recent discovery of AI generated art.

It's been on the cusp of my awareness for a while, and while I had dabbled in the past, things have got very sophisticated very fast.

As an artist, I often have people gasp at my talent and proclaim that I should do it for a living, and that got me pondering on the question - is AI a threat to artists?

That all depends on your definition of an artist.  If you consider it to be someone who can render an image, then yes, we are doomed, for AI can churn out anything, much of which could be considered masterpieces.  AI is truly remarkable.  I was blown away by how remarkable it was, while at the same time completely terrifying.  I believe a true artist is someone who can convey an image, and for that you need imagination.  Even AI needs help in this regard, but if you have the imagination to describe what you want, AI can deliver, and there lies the terror.

Think about it. It is within our grasp to describe a scene, and have AI create it.

I need to investigate if and how I can share some of my creations.  In the meantime, would be interested to hear the thoughts of others on this subject.

No comments: