Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Here We Go Again!

Well, I managed to step away from Skyrim and opened the toolset to have another bash at Chapter 2.  It had been worrying me a while as whenever I opened the toolset to have a look, I realised what was waiting for me was quite daunting and would end up shutting it down again.  This time I perservered, and decided to crack on with the opening cutscene that will greet the player.  Since I started dabbling with the Gestalt cutscene system I haven't looked back.  True, for a perfectionist like me it's making a rod for my own back, but I feel quite strongly that the inclusion of cutscenes does much in the telling of the story and moves it away from a simple monster bash.  As expected, problems arose.... camera positioning was never quite where I wanted it... NPCs wouldn't run where I wanted them to... camera wobble made text unreadable... all the usual stuff that had me cursing at the keyboard, but I got there in the end.  The cutscene intro now sets the scene nicely, meaning I'm ready to move on to what takes place within the city where the first part of the module will take place.  As I enjoy making areas, some of that has already been done.

No pictures for now.  I think I've got flu coming on and need bed!

3 comments:

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Cutscenes are a nightmare for me, even with NWN2, which has made things much "easier".

Skyrim - I will probably buy it eventually, but in about 2-3 years time when it gets less than £5. :)

Sorry to hear you may have flu coming - I have the dentist this afternoon. :(

Lance.

Quillmaster said...

Yeah I've been bed ridden the last couple of days, but fortunately I have a Max free weekend and am feeling a bit better today, so may well do some more building.

Don't suppose you'd be up for a visit early next Saturday morning? I'd have Max and possibly the dog with me, but the dog's no bother.

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi Geoff,

Not sure when you posted this with respect to "Saturday" morning .... but the "early" bit scared me anyway. ;)

That said, I will email you with my contact details again in case you did not receive them last time.

Keep me updated.

Lance.