Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Re-Visiting Chapter 1

Nostalgia had me yearning to give Chapter 1 a play through.  At first I couldn't get it to work, and then it occurred to me that I was trying to play with the latest version of NWN (enhanced edition), and that maybe I needed to rebuild the module in the toolset to make it compatible.  While there I thought I'd make a change to something I was aware didn't work, and am pleased to say I resolved the issue.  It involved the telescope on an external balcony of the castle.  It was meant to be useable and fire a conversation, but failed to highlight as an object one could interact with.  It now highlights as intended and fires a conversation between the main character and his henchman.  Although not essential to find, it does offer some opportunities to improve or worsen the relationship, so is a valuable resource for those who stated "I could never get that dam Druid to like me!".  Conversation choices have consequences, and one would be wise to read all options before deciding how to react, and frequently too, as some options only appear as a matter of circumstance.

Gailin (The Druid Henchman) was my first ever attempt at a henchman, and I'm rather proud that I could trigger responses from him.  Conversations are what I have the most fun with, and being able to have him interject with the conversations of others was a joy to work on.  There's a shop in Oasis where the shop keeper acknowledges his presence, opening up new conversation branches in the process.

I had great fun playing through again, sometimes in awe of what I had accomplished, but sometimes frowning at the flaws.

So... I started tinkering, and it got me to thinking I should upload an updated version so the current generation can enjoy it, maybe even expanding on it a little and fixing the end movie which is, I admit, somewhat annoying that the game could end without playing it.

You'll have to excuse me.  I need to go tinker on it some more. :)


No comments: