Monday, April 13, 2009

Convo Complications

Well. I'm pleased to say I returned to a conversation file I was dreading, and progress was good. It's quite possibly the largest conversation in the game, currently standing at over 4200 words (I don't know if that includes links. Anyone know?) and still counting. Why is this particular conversation such a nightmare? Well, it takes place at the conclusion of the first major mission and has to account for so much. The design of the game means there are a multiple of considerations to take into account, many of which might not even be witnessed by the player, but why go to such trouble? The answer is that I don't want my players to feel cheated. Some quests only present themselves under certain conditions, and this has been deliberate so that a player can feel they have unearthed something others may have missed. There is nothing I'd like more than for a player to say "Hey, great game, and I loved that suit of Mouys Mail I picked up." followed by another player saying "Where did you get that?!" To some extent I'd like to think that such results might tempt people to play the game again. Some of my quests have multiple completion nodes that depend on circumstance, and in some cases these lead to different possible conversation options, so there is a lot to cover. On the downside, it does require a lot of work and will require multiple tests, so again, if anyone out there is interested in helping, drop me a line. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you see ;)

1 comment:

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Conversations are probably one of the hardest things to get right, especially with respect to logical flow and trying to keep the file efficient. i.e. Not have too much repetition.

I am sure you will get it right, even if it takes a bit of testing ... but you just reminded me of how much effort it takes .. and I have mine still to do ... eek!

As far as word count, I am not sure. Might be worth doing a quick test and seeing if a link counts towards the word count or not on a small test conversation.

Lance.