Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Deep Joy!

My wife was watching over my shoulder today as I was tinkering with an area I'm working on and said "That looks far too complicated". When I asked what she meant she said all the fine tuning, like going in and editing scripts then changing creature properties, making items etc. looked like too much work. I replied that it only need be as complicated as you make it, and that me being a stickler for detail meant that such complications were inevitable. So what keeps me going? The buzz I get when something goes right, and right now I am buzzing big style! :)
Having finished populating the area discussed in my previous post, I decided I should put it to the test. It was by no means easy, very challenging in fact, but by using the tactical advantage available, it made for a very exciting level. The last major combat in the area is defined by an encounter (as opposed to a placed monster), and is set at a difficulty level of "impossible". Fortunately it takes place where the tactical advantage is available. Using it requires a little running around, but it makes for a very tense encounter that feels very much like a "boss" end of level fight that was hugely satisfying.

The area is now finished and my next area is the town that the player has spent a good portion of the module struggling to reach, so it's real nice that I can now do some work on that. The module is now somewhere between half and two thirds complete, although I know of at least two minor cut scenes I'll have to create so that will slow me down a little.

Well, guess I should take advantage of the buzz I'm experiencing and create a "Eureka!" cutscene on reaching the town. :)

No comments: