Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Art of Placement

You'll be surprised at what you can build in NWN1, particularly with imaginative use of how you place objects. Such things should be given careful consideration if your module is to look fresh to those that play.

Fortunately there is a much under used tool available that's been a real boon to me since I discovered it. Truth be told, I knew it was possible for a while, just didn't know how simple it was to call it up.

For those of you wondering what tool I'm talking about, have you ever placed an object on a table, then gone back to it later on, left clicked to select it, then discover it's fallen through to the floor? Perhaps, like me, you just destroyed the object and placed a new one on the table? Well, that can get a bit tiresome at times, but what's especially nice about this tool is it can be used to help you place anything, so, if for example you've grown tired of paintings always being a default height on the wall, you can use it to adjust the height.

I am of course talking about the "Adjust Location" tool, accessable by right clicking on any placeable then selecting "Adjust Location". There... that wasn't too difficult now was it? ;) Use this tool to bring up the details of an objects location, and alter the numbers to adjust it accordingly. Ever placed a papersheet on a rug, then become frustrated because the rug blocks out the papersheet? Simply adjust the height of the papersheet so it's .01 higher than the rug then presto! All is revealed! The same technique can be used on adjoining objects to stop that flickering you sometimes get in game.

I might post some example screen caps of the type of thing I mean when I give my next update on how Chapter 1 is coming along, so watch this space. :)

No comments: